Monday, July 25, 2011

Track 7: the flamingo

This was a fun bossa nova that I came up with one day.  I actually did all the writing and recording in one day (except for a cajon overdub with Javier).  I love it when songs come together like that.  I have been teaching electric guitar to some pretty exceptional young guitarists, and many of them are into 'shred' guitar. As a result, I've been learning these ridiculous guitar solos, and so I kind of reached into that bag of tricks a few times on this song.

Okay, a bit of gear talk on this post.  Pretty much every guitar part on this CD (except Ivy, Caleb's song, and rhythm guitar on Open Air #5) was recorded with a Shure KSM 27 microphone into a Mackie 1202 VLZ PRO mini mixer (for the mic pre-amps), then into an M-Audio 1814 Firewire Audio interface, ending up in Logic Pro 8.  I got the  KSM 27 from a guy on Craigslist.  I felt kind of weird buying a mic off of Craigslist, and sure enough (no pun intended) it started shorting out after about a month.  I sent it off to Shure, inc after talking to their support folks, and they sent me a brand new one!  I love Shure.  Forever.

So I have a pretty low budget recording setup, as far as that kind of thing goes, but I love the sounds I get out of it.  I'm continually amazed at how powerful computer audio is now.  It wasn't that long ago when it could not deliver these kind of results, at least not in my price range.

I'm pretty happy with the bass track on this cut.  I did it using Logic's upright bass samples, and played them on a midi keyboard.  I'm sure it would have sounded better with a great player like Jeff, but it was a whole lot more free for me to do it.

The name, 'The Flamingo,' came from my (then) five year old daughter Bella.  Not sure why, but it seemed to fit.  Here's a little video I put to it, with a pre-Javier version of the rhythm track.


No comments:

Post a Comment