Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Track 5: mountain of the sky god

I use several unusual time signatures on this CD, but this one is the most complex.  It starts off in 19/8.  My mom said that I was just making that up, and she's right.  It's three sets of 5 and a 4, five further split into a two and a three, so you can count it: "one-two one-two-three, one-two one-two-three, one-two one-two-three, one-two-three-four."  Anyway, I wasn't trying to be difficult, I promise.  That's just the way the pattern of notes came to me.

The bell sound is a sample of a celesta (the c has a 'ch' sound, like 'cello') which I got off of Logic, the recording software I use, as is the bass sound.  I used the xylophone samples at first, but knew they would sound better played by an actual percussionist.  I happen to know Dr. Christopher Norton, a percussionist for the Nashville Symphony and professor of classical percussion at Belmont University, and he agreed to record the little xylo part for me.

"It's in 19/8," I said.

"No problem," he said.

And he was right.


No comments:

Post a Comment